March 2, 2020

Time To Get A GPS?


    
Last Friday I went down to Bennett Indoor Sports Complex in Tom's River to watch the Indoor Track State Championships.  I usually stop on the way to grab something to eat since I will be on my feet for about six hours watching the races.
    
There is conveniently a Mickey D's about a mile before the complex.  I was shocked to see that it was now closed for renovations.  I needed food so I decided to drive further south past the complex to find another fast food place.  And I figured I would re-trace my route to avoid getting lost.
   
Well, after several turns which I hoped would get me to a populous area, I was semi-lost.  I finally got on Route 37 which I had crossed previously.  Luck was shining on me because White Castle was one of the many fast food restaurants on the highway.
    
After throwing down some sliders, I started to head back to the complex.  To get back to the desired road, I would have to turn around which required two jug handles.  Traffic was heavy at that time of day, so I went down a road which looked like it ran parallel to my goal road.
   
In my life, every once in a while, if I am in an area I am unfamiliar with, I challenge myself to get to my goal by driving on back roads in the direction that I think will be successful.  I did that last Friday but it took longer than I thought, and at one point I thought I would be driving around for hours.  
    
I finally got to the complex but was 30 minutes late and missed the 400M races.  So the moral of the story is improve my trip plans or get a GPS (or put my Hagstom Maps back in my car!).

No comments: