January 29, 2021

Close Call # 1 (and now #2)


 

A couple of weeks, and a couple of posts, ago I had a new snow blower delivered to my home.  I was very excited about it and was watching for the delivery truck on the day of its scheduled arrival.  I also wanted to give the driver a hand getting it in the garage since I knew it weighed 34 pounds.

The truck arrived and I opened up the garage door and guided the carrier and my new toy into the garage.  As is usually done, I stood in the garage and made small talk with the driver.  Halfway thru our conversation I suddenly realized that neither one of us was wearing a mask and I was only about 4-5 feet away.  Eventually he left.

I rushed upstairs and took a long and thorough shower.  Then I went for a run and exhaled more than I normally do on my runs.  Then I returned home and began the count of 14 days awaiting possible symptons.  Well, today was day 15 so either I did not get the rona or I did and I am asymptomatic.

Yesterday, my cable box shut down and it was determined that a technician would need to come out and look at the problem.  The only other option would be to go without TV for maybe the rest of the year or however long this pandemic will last.  I don't watch a lot of TV but the Super Bowl is a week away.  So I made the appointment for this morning to have someone stop by.

The technician arrived around 8:15 and he was masked.  I was double masked with gloves.  He would be the first person to set foot in my house in the past 10 months.  Being a hermit has kept me alive and I hoped that this was not going to be a mistake.  He was here for about 90 minutes, half inside and half out.  New cables needed to be installed and updated, entering the house and the ones up high out by the street.  I was amazed as I watched him working out by the street.  His ladder was not set against the telephone pole but rather hooked onto an existing wire going from my pole to another.  And it must have been strong enough because he was a big fellow.  And to top it off he was working up there in 14 degrees and 20 mph winds!!

Anyway, the TV/cable is working again with a brand new remote control.  But the new box have the capability to connect to my DVR player.  Oh, well, I never watched that many DVRs anyway.

Is the rona in the house?  A new count to 14 begins!

No comments: