September 2, 2007

Unanswered questions


During the past week, I saw my second dead cat on the side of a road in the past month. Deer, raccoons, and possum I understand, but dead cats I could never understand. I've always had dogs as pets so I can't begin to know the mentality of a person who owns a cat.

When a person adopts or buys a cat, does he or she say to themselves....


"I know this cat will go out on its own at night, prowling around the neighborhood. It may even come to the "big road". It will try and cross it for some reason. It may make it. Or maybe not. I accept the fact that my pet will not return alive."


Or when that pet does not return in a day or so, do the owners drive around looking for it expecting the worst? Or do they just sit back and hope it returns someday?


And when the police or dead-animal-picker-uppers remove the dead from the roads, do they go around notifying the neighborhood of the newly found dead?


Just some questions I've wondered about.

No comments: